If you have a shared minor child and plan to be divorced in the State of Georgia you will likely be required to attend a parenting class or seminar. Requirements, schedules, and fees vary by county. “The superior court judges, under whose authority the program shall function, may require any or all parties to attend an educational seminar of no more than four hours in any domestic relations action before the court.” Georgia Superior Court Rule 24.8(B).
“The goal of this program is to assist the parents in understanding the impact of divorce on children, reduce potential conflicts, and offer practical solutions to future problems. ” alcovycircuit.com “The seminar focuses on the developmental needs of children, with emphasis on fostering the child's emotional health during periods of stress.” gwinnettcourts.com
Information on local county parenting classes are listed below:
Alcovy (Newton and Walton Counties):
- Fee: $25.00, cash or money order
- Attendance: Divorce action must be filled with the Court prior to attending the class
- Completion: Must be attended by both parties within 60 days of the filing date of the divorce
- Court Note About Attendance: “Attendance is MANDATORY. FAILURE TO ATTEND MAY RESULT IN SANCTIONS AGAINST YOU AND POSSIBLY AFFECT YOUR VISITATION WITH THE MINOR CHILD(REN)!” http://www.alcovycircuit.com/resources/175-divorcing-parents-seminar.html
- Location: Social Circle Public Safety Building in the Community Room, 138 E. Hightower Trail, Social Circle, Georgia 30025
- Dates: 2nd Thursday (Plaintiff) and 3rd Thursday (Defendant) of every month
- Time: 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.
- Schedule, based on filing date: alcovycircuit.com
- Fee: $40.00, cash or money order
- Attendance: Can be attended at anytime
- Completion: Must be completed within 31 days of service of the original complaint upon the original defendant
- Court Note About Attendance: “Appropriate action, including but not limited to contempt, may be taken upon a party's failure to successfully complete the seminar.” gwinnettcourts.com
- Location: Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center in Conference Room A West Wing, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, Georgia 30046
- Dates: 1st, 2nd, and 4th Thursday a.m. sessions and 3rd Thursday p.m. session
- Times: 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. / 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Schedule: www.gwinnettcourts.com
Be sure to check with the filing Court for your parenting class information, requirements vary by county.
Contact the Law Office of Christine M Bechtold, LLC to discuss your family law case, all new consultations are free. Call or email me directly today: 770-466-2700, Christine@Bechtold-Law.com.