Wednesday, August 19, 2015

How Much Does It Cost to File My Divorce?

Divorce cases are filed as Domestic Civil Cases in Superior Court. Filing fees to the Superior Court vary by county, see list and links below for the most recent filing fees as of August, 2015.

The filing fee is paid to the Clerk’s office for the filing and processing of your case. If your case requires service of process by the Sheriff, there is a separate fee to the Sheriff’s office of $50.00 per person, per address. 

If your county is not listed above, call the Clerk of the Superior Court in your county for the most recent fees.

This is an update to the prior post: How Much AreYour Legal Fees For A Divorce?.

Contact the Law Office of Christine M Bechtold, LLC to schedule a free initial consultation and start your divorce process.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Do I Need a Living Will (ADHC)?

Yes, everyone should have a living will. This legal document allows you to set-up guidelines for your healthcare in the event you can't make the decisions yourself. A living will, durable power of attorney for health care, and advance directive for health care (ADHC) are all the same document. Since 2007, Georgia has combined all of these documents into the ADHC.

"You have the right to control all aspects of your personal care and medical treatment, including the right to insist upon medical treatment or direct that medical treatment be withheld or withdrawn. If you cannot (or do not want to) communicate your health care decisions for yourself, you have the right to choose someone to make health care decisions for you. You also have the right to state your treatment preferences if you have a terminal condition or are in a state of permanent unconsciousness. The Georgia Advance Directive for Health Care Act gives you an opportunity to choose someone to make health care decisions on your behalf and to make a clear expression of your decisions regarding health care if you are in a terminal condition or state of permanent unconsciousness by executing an advance directive for health care."

Georgia has a standard ADHC form anyone can use. The form and instructions for how to execute the document can be found in this handout from Georgia Department of Human Services.

Read more about ADHC:

Contact the Law Office of Christine M Bechtold, LLC to discuss your advance directive for healthcare.  770.466.2700