Under Georgia law, both parents of children under the age of 18 years old in a divorce, separate maintenance, paternity, change of custody, visitation, legitimation, and any other domestic action, are required to attend a parenting seminar. Uniform Superior Court Rule 24.8. The divorcing parent’s seminar “focuses on the developmental needs of children, with emphasis on fostering the child’s emotional health during periods of stress.” Gwinnett Courts Parenting Seminar The seminar must be completed within 31 days of the original complaint and should be attended in the County which the action was filed. Certificates will be issued after completing the seminar.
If a parent cannot attend the class in the County the divorce was filed, they should contact their county superior court and see if their county holds an acceptable parenting seminar. Since the seminar is mandatory in Georgia there are many classes available to suit parent’s schedules.
The Gwinnett County Divorcing Parent’s Seminar
- Pre-registration is required, online registration available
- Held at Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center: 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, Georgia, 30046, Conference Room A west wing, second floor
- Three Thursdays a month in the morning 9:00a.m. - 1:00 p.m., and one Thursday a month in the evening 5:00p.m.- 9:00p.m.
- Parties can attend on any day
- Cost $30, cash or money order
- Additional information Gwinnett Courts Parenting Seminar
- Divorce must be filed before attending class
- Pre-registration is required
- Held at Social Circle Public Safety Building:138 E. Hightower Trail Social Circle, Georgia, 30025, Community Room
- Two Thursday a month in the evening 6:30p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Plaintiff to attend the second Thursday of the month, Defendant to attend third Thursday of the month
- Cost $25, cash or money order
- Additional information Walton County Parenting Class