Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Child’s Parent Isn’t Paying The Court Ordered Child Support, What Can I Do?

If a child’s parent was Court ordered to pay child support for the benefit of the minor child and they are not paying that full amount there are a few actions you can take. 

The most important and first action is to communicate with the non-paying parent. You should make sure that the parent is aware of the non-payment. Be sure to inform the parent of the exact past due child support amount and where to send payment. It may also be helpful to include a copy of the Court Order with your written communication.  Sometimes communication is all that is needed to encourage an agreement to fulfill the Court Ordered child support.

“If you live in Georgia, have legal custody of a child, and need help receiving child support payments, you may apply” for assistance through the Division of Child Support Services. Part of this program’s mission is, “To enhance the well-being of children by assuring that assistance in obtaining support, including financial and medical, is available to children through locating parents, establishing paternity, establishing support obligations, and monitoring, enforcing and reviewing support obligations.” Division of Child Support Services . This program will walk you through the process without the need for an attorney. This process can be helpful for some but it can be a very lengthy process.

Finally, you can retain an attorney to work through the Court to enforce the child support Order. This process starts with communication and possibly a contempt of Court charge against the non-paying parent. This approach will lead to a definitive answer from the Court.

Cases require some or all of these steps to enforce a child support Order. Contact the Office of Christine M Bechtold, LLC to schedule your free initial consultation to discuss the best option for your child. 770-466-2700

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.