Friday, July 15, 2016

Can I Change Back to my Maiden Name?

Yes, you can restore your maiden name after divorce in Georgia. “Your last name does not automatically revert to your former or maiden name once you get divorced.” “In most states, you can request that the judge handling your divorce make a formal order restoring your former or birth name.”

People have many reasons to change (or not change) their name after divorce. In blog post “Should You Change Your Name Back After Divorce?” Jackie Pilossoph lists the following considerations: (1) Children, (2) Reason, (3) Profession, (4) Comfort, and (5) Time. The decision to change your name is a personal decision that only you can make, however, “one reason a woman absolutely should not change her name back to her birth name, is if it is solely for the purpose of avoiding creditors or criminal prosecution.”

Georgia allows for the restoration of your maiden name with your divorce as long as it is requested in your divorce documents. If your divorce decree does not reinstate your maiden name, you can request a name change later with the Superior Court in your county for additional fees and paperwork. Be sure that you do the research and do not overlook this important decision in the divorce process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.