Independence Day is one of the most important federal holidays in the United States commemorating the Declaration of Independence, which declared our independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. bechtold-law.blogspot.com. “Drafted by Thomas Jefferson between June 11 and June 28, 1776, the Declaration of Independence is at once the nation's most cherished symbol of liberty and Jefferson's most enduring monument.” www.archives.gov.
“What Jefferson did was to summarize this philosophy in ‘self-evident truths’ and set forth a list of grievances against the King in order to justify before the world the breaking of ties between the colonies and the mother country.” www.archives.gov.
In the Declaration of Independence Thomas Jefferson describes why the Declaration is necessary:
- "For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury.” www.archives.gov.
- "For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies." www.archives.gov.
- "He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.” www.archives.gov.
- "He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people." www.archives.gov.
- "He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.." www.archives.gov.
- “In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.” www.archives.gov.
Although celebrated on July 4th every year, “July 2, 1776 is the day that the Continental Congress actually voted for independence.” www.archives.gov.
In honor of this important holiday these local government offices will be closed on Monday, July 4, 2016:
"The Newton County Judicial Center and the Walton County Government Building will be closed on Monday, July 4, 2016, in observance of Independence Day. ” www.alcovycircuit.com.
Gwinnett County Judicial Center is closed on legal holidays. www.gwinnettcounty.com.
Barrow County Government Offices will be closed on July 4, 2016. http://www.barrowga.org/.
The Law Office of Christine M Bechtold, LLC will also be closed around July 4th in honor of this wonderful holiday, so be sure to email the office to set-up your free initial consultation. Christine@Bechtold-Law.com